Monday, January 26, 2009

My first blood draw







First, I promised to show pictures of our new canine friend Charlie. Isn't he cute? We've been having a great time with him and he is blending into the family quite nicely. So far Salina and Stripey are the only ones who will sit in the same room as him and not freak out, the other ones (cat's) just hiss and run. The're coming around though, it's only been a couple weeks.






Soo, in lab today we started I.V's on the arm manaquins filled with blood and performed venipucture for a blood withdrawl. You know, the ones with the different topped tubes that go to the lab. So, far this has definitely been my funnest(sp?) lab. Then we got a chance to each draw blood on our own lab partner. We used the butterfly needle and attached syringe, then transfered the blood to the tube using a blunt needle. Lots of fun!






In lecture I an knee deep in OB care with only two weeks to go over all pregnacy normals and abnormals, taking care of the laboring mother, and knowing all tests that are ordered to check on the health of the fetus. I am up to my eyeballs in reading and I feel like I could be on this subject for two months and still not have it all down. Please Lord let me do well on this next test..

3 comments:

Linda's World said...

Charlie is darling. I hope all the cats learn to love him. I remember your Grandma Smith said they practiced draws on oranges. They didn't have fancy teaching tools back in the late 1930's. When I worked at Doctor's Hospital (no longer exsists) the lab gals learned to draw blood gases on us poor employees. Right out of the top of the hand. Ouch ! Normally the respitory therapists did that but it was decided the lab people should learn to draw them too. You're going to do fine. Someday you'll look back on this and laugh. I promise! Luv Aunt Linda

may said...

there's nothing like practicing those skills, it will be very handy in the future; and a good topic for conversation too :)

Azmomo2andcounting said...

I can't wait till we get to that in second semester. Seems like all the fun stuff is in second semester.