Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My dirty little secret

Yes, it's true. I, a future nurse, don't really love needles. In fact the thought of drawing someones blood does cause some anxiety. But, I put on my big girl panties and do it when it's needed. Sometimes I have success, sometimes I don't.
Here's my other secret, I 'm prone to have vasovagal responses when I have a bit too much anxiety in relation to needles. This basically means I faint. In fact, I fainted in the middle of the PACU a couple weeks ago. Ah, yes, creating new memories wherever I go. I had attempted to draw on this guy, and he was being really patient about it, but it had taken several attempts.
I started to feel a little woozy and before I knew it I was hearing my name being called with fuzzy faces all around me. It took a while to figure out what had happened but when I did, my first thought was DAMN! Why? Why did this happen, so so lame!
I know that I will get over this and the more practice I get the less the anxiety will come. In fact just yesterday, I worked in the same unit and everything went well, aside from forgetting to get the cotton ball out ahead of time, so what, a few drops of blood on the chair. Next time I'll remember and hopefully my hands won't shake as much.
Until next time, Becky

2 comments:

Linda's World said...

It will come in time. Five years from now you will look back & laugh and help pick someone else off the floor who fainted! We've all had areas of our life where we are a little timid...but after much practice~we get it right. Remember the first time you drove a car? Picked up a newborn? This too shall pass...Love Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. I dont get anxious when I am drawing blood but when someone is getting ready to draw mine, I start to get all fuzzy and like I really could pass out.

If it makes you feel better, I thought a bed alarm was a device on the med beds to keep them from getting stolen....yes, really.