Tuesday, January 12, 2010

ICU so far

Well, I have what seems like a bit of a mess on my hands here. All last week I was attempting to get a hold of my preceptor. Everyday I called and even on the days that she was scheduled she wasn't there. I was beginning to wonder if she even actually worked there. So Saturday I went to the unit to get her schedule for this week and I was explaning my situation to another nurse. She was very kind to tell me to come in anyways and she could be with me. So I did, it turned out to be a good day, but pretty slow. I did get to go to a code blue, I got to watch assessments on a head truama case and fed a gal with severe etoh withrawl and dementia her breakfast with her pills mixed in, all while she was talking about her kitty and had her eyes rolled back in her head. You had to constatly wake her up and remind her to chew. Sad thing was she wasn't on any narcotics and her ativan was mostly worn off. I think she just has damaged her brain that exensively. My nurse was very, very nice, but I still felt a little let down that it wasn't as fast paced as I like. I like being busy, all the time. I'd rather have too much to do than not enough. Maybe I am more of an adrenalin junkie than I thought I was. I guess I have three months to find out. Meanwhile I really hope my real preceptor will call be because I'm showing up on Wednesday no matter what!

No comments: